Skip to content ↓

Special Educational Needs Information 


At Christ the King Catholic Primary School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school. In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey. Quality teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.

There are many SEND terms that are abbreviated. Below is a glossary of the most used SEND terms.



Attention Deficit Disorder


Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder


Social, Emotional and Mental Health


Common Assessment Framework


Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service


Child and Family Support Worker


Code of Practice


Care Plan


Developmental Co-ordination Disorder


English as an Additional Language


Educational Psychologist


Foundation Stage


Hearing Impairment


Individual Education Plan


Inclusion Plan


Key Stage


Looked After Child


Local Authority


Moderate Learning Difficulty


Needs Based Plan


Occupational Therapist


Positive Handling Plan


Physical Impairment


Speech & Language Therapy


Special Educational Needs & Disability


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Speech Language and Communication Disorder


Specific Learning Difficulty


Visual Impairment


The Special Needs Co-ordinator/Inclusion Leader is: Mrs S Horrocks


Roles & Responsibilities of the special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).

Our SENCO is responsible for the operation of the Special Educational Needs Policy and co-ordination of specific provision made to support individual children with SEN.   Mrs. Horrocks liaises with staff to monitor the pupil’s progress and plan further interventions where progress is slower than expected.  She regularly has contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice. If you have any concerns regarding SEND matters do not hesitate to contact Mrs Horrocks via Parentlink.


Children and Families Act 2014


The Children and Families Bill takes forward the Coalition Government’s commitments to improve services for vulnerable children and support families. It underpins wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Act has set out new systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs.


The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them. The Act includes:

  • SEN system from birth to 25,
  • replacing statements and learning difficulty assessments with a new birth- to-25 Education, Health and Care Plan,
  • extending rights and protections to young people in further education and training and offering families personal budgets so that they have more control over the support they need;
  • improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together;
  • requiring local authorities to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support.


What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer is easy to understand information setting out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.” Coventry Local Authority publish their support in the Authority’s Local Offer.

 Coventry's Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Local Offer – Coventry City Council

Below are 14 questions, devised in consultation with parents/carers, that they felt would give the information that they found beneficial when seeking support and guidance for their child with SEND


How does Christ the King Catholic Primary School know if children need extra help? 

We know when pupils need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • limited progress is being made
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress      


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs? 

The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. If further advice is needed, please contact Mrs Horrocks, SENCo. Please contact the school office via Parentlink.


 How will I know how Christ the King Catholic  Primary School supports my child?    

  • Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  • Standards Leaders and Teachers will discuss individual pupil progress at Phase meetings and termly Pupil Progress meetings. If progress is a concern, a pupil will be included in our programme of Phase Interventions. The pupil will also become a ‘Target Pupil’ for the Class Teacher in their areas for development and a target pupil for Standard’s Leaders during Pupil Progress Meetings, Phase meetings. If progress continues to be a concern the Class Teacher or Standards Leader will consult with the SENCo who will provide guidance and advice as to the next steps in support. This may be an alternative Phase Intervention or inclusion in Special Educational Needs provision.
  • If a pupil is identified as having Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND) they will be placed on a SEND register and be evaluated for their level of SEND. Currently, Individual Education, Care, will be written in collaboration with parents/carers to address the specific needs of the pupil. These will have targets that will be reviewed in October, March and July by the, teaching staff and parents. The pupil’s views and feelings will also be sought.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? 

  • Targets will be set according to their area of need and written on a plan. These plans will be monitored by the class teacher and by the SENCO three times per year. Plans are sent to parents.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.


How will I know how my child is doing? 

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings. Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern.
  • Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCo by contacting parentlink.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning? 

  • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • The class teacher will meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies set in their individual plans.
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.
  • Coventry offers a free impartial service for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs.

Coventry SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Information, Advice and Support Service

Coventry SEND Information, Advice and Support Service aims to:

  • Provide information, advice and support to children and young people up to the age of 25 with SEND
  • Provide information, advice and support to the parents of children and young people up to the age of 25 with SEND
  • Provide impartial advice about matters relating to special educational needs or disabilities, including matters relating to health and social care
  • Offer support to parents and children and young people with SEND in participating in decisions made about the child/young person’s education, health and social care
  • Coventry SENDIAS offer a free confidential and impartial service for children and young people with Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND) and their parents and carers. We are legally trained to offer information advice and support to children, Young People & their parents, to help them make informed decisions and play an active role in their own or their child’s education. We explain SEND processes and procedures in straight-forward language so everyone knows what to expect and what part they play’

Contact us via

Limbrick Wood Centre
Thomas Naul Croft
Tile Hill

Telephone: 024 76694307


Website: Home – SENDIASS (



What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, Learning Mentor and SENCO are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate 1:1 or social communication sessions are carried out.

Some alternative provision is available for those who find lunchtimes a challenge.


What support will there be for my child’s medical needs?

  • If a pupil has a medical need then a Care Plan is compiled, where appropriate with support from the school nurse or occupational therapist, in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Staff receive epipen training delivered by the school nurse.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • All staff have basic first aid training and the school has a trained first aider available 9.00-3.15pm.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?           

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.

 The agencies used by the school may include:


  • The SEMHL TEAM (social, emotional, mental health and learning)
  • Coventry Education Psychology department
  • Coventry Speech and Language service
  • Coventry Nursing service
  • Coventry RISE
  • Hearing and Visual impairment
  • Private ASC SUPPORT
  • Private speech and language support
  • SEND Early Years



Some pupils may also require support that is ‘additional or different’:


Specific Need


Pupils with English as an Additional Language (EAL)

SISS- English as an Additional Language (EAL)

Children in Care, Children of Service personal

Social Work Team, Education Service for Looked After and Vulnerable Children (EDULAC)

Refugee and Asylum Seekers

Education Service for Looked After and Vulnerable Children (EDULAC)

Traveller Pupils

Gypsy, Roma pupils and pupils of Irish Traveller heritage team (GRT)

Pupils with medical needs

Specialist Health Services – Birmingham and Coventry

Children's Hospital and specialist nursing teams

Young Carers

Coventry Young Carers Team, CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

Pupils at Risk of Exclusion

SEMHL- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Educational Psychologists, Education Welfare Team

Pupils from families under stress

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)


What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?             

Teaching staff have access to the Department for Education (DFE) Inclusion Development Programme (IDP) materials to support the differentiation of learning opportunities to meet the needs of the majority of learners. This facilitates ‘Quality First Teaching’ for all pupils.

Different members of staff have received raining related to SEND. These have included sessions on:

  • How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum.
  • How to support pupils with social and emotional needs.
  • How to support pupils with speech and language difficulties.
  • How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?              

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How accessible is the school environment?   

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. We do have a first floor in the KS2 building which is accessed by stairs. Facilities we have at present include:

  • ramps into school to make the building accessible to all.
  • Two private toilets adapted for disabled users.
  • Adapted children’s toilets in both buildings.
  • A lift for transporting children upstairs to Year 6 classrooms if necessary.


Admissions - How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Christ the King Catholic Primary School or transferring to a new school?   

Admission for any child, including those with SEND is through Coventry School Admissions, detailed information can be found at

School admissions – Coventry City Council

If your child has a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education and healthcare plan (EHCP) the process is different please phone Coventry admissions on 024 7697 5445 for advice pertinent to your child's needs. In addition, priority may be given to children with exceptional social or medical reasons. If you think there may be exceptional social or medical reasons find out more at

  School admissions policies – Coventry City Council  

Many strategies are in place at Christ the King Catholic Primary School to enable the pupil’s admission/transition to be as smooth as possible.      

These include:

  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend a Transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
  • If necessary books are Transition books are made with individuals.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • Mrs Horrocks AND Mrs Hagyard are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Mrs Horrocks liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEND pupils.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs. The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year. Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher and Senior Leadership Team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies. During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?              

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

discussions with the class teacher

  • during parents evenings and individual plan meetings
  • during discussions with Mrs Horrocks or other professionals
  • parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s Individual Plans with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.


Who can I contact for further information?             

 If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact the school office via parentlink to arrange a meeting with the SENCO.

I hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.